Family Law including Divorce,

Property Settlements and Parenting Orders


Australia has established the principle of no-fault divorce. This means that when granting a divorce, the Court does not consider why the marriage ended in its decision. The only grounds for which a Court will grant a divorce is when the marriage has broken down and there is no reasonable likelihood that the parties will reconcile.

When applying for a divorce in Australia you need to have been separated for a period of at least 12 months. Depending on your personal circumstances, your application and supporting documentation may differ, so it is always best to seek legal advice to avoid unnecessary costs and delays.

Property Settlements

Upon separation, it is highly recommended that parties undergo a formal division of property. A separation of parties can include those that are of a matrimonial relationship or a de-facto relationship.

A property settlement will include division of the parties assets, liabilities, and financial resources.

There are time limits with respect to property settlements. Unlike divorce, there is no minimum time period you have to wait to commence a property settlement. A maximum time limit, however, does apply. An application must be made to a Court for a property settlement within the following time periods:

  • 1 year of a divorce becoming “absolute” for married couples. Noting that a divorce becomes “absolute” when the Court issues a Certificate of Divorce, this usually being 1 month and 1 day after the divorce hearing; or
  • 2 years from separation for de-facto couples.

Parenting Orders

When parties separate, disagreements about how and where children should be raised can arise.

Parenting agreements are always attempted to be reached through mediation however if this is not possible, an application for Consent Orders can be made through the Courts. Issues most commonly negotiated are how much time children spend with each parent, parental responsibility, and schooling.

In some circumstances a party may be eligible for Legal Aid and we are able to assist with this.

To arrange a time to speak with one of our solicitors in relation to Family Law enquiries, please telephone our offices on (08) 8323 9066.

McLaren Vale

188 Main Road
McLaren Vale
South Australia 5171

Victor Harbor

Flinders Arcade 8/17-21 Ocean St Victor Harbor

Business Hours

Monday-Friday: 9am-5pm

Servicing all southern suburbs of Adelaide and the Fleurieu Peninsula, including McLaren Vale, McLaren Flat, Willunga, Whites Valley, Blewitt Springs, Kangarilla, The Range, Kuitpo, Dingabledinga, Hope Forest, Port Willunga, Aldinga, Sellicks Beach, Mount Compass, Myponga, Yankalilla, Normanville, Kangaroo Island, Victor Harbor, Encounter Bay, Port Elliot, Middleton, Goolwa, Hindmarsh Island, Maslin Beach, Moana, Seaford, Old Noarlunga, Port Noarlunga, Noarlunga, Hackham, Onkaparinga Hills, Christie Downs, Christies Beach, Lonsdale, Morphett Vale, Woodcroft, Reynella, Happy Valley, Hallett Cove, Aberfoyle Park, and Sheidow Park

Liability limited by a scheme approved under Professional Standards Legislation